The Asheville Regional Airport Runway 5k + Aviation Day is back by popular demand!
That’s right — last year’s kick-off event celebrating the airport’s 50th anniversary was such a success that we’re bringing it back for 2012, this time with a very special Aviation Day featuring activities for the whole family — airplanes on display (including a gigantic Coast Guard C-130!), aviation experts on hand, live music, food, activities, and a chance to win FREE airfare!
Plus, this year’s Runway 5k will take over the entire length of the AVL runway — all 8,001 feet of it — and we expect more than 1000 runners to be cleared for take-off!
The Aviation Day festivities put the focus on the thrill of aviation, and you can register to experience the thrill of zooming down the runway yourself as a 5k participant — and the t-shirts are super-cool!
Mark your calendars for the big day — Saturday, October 6!
A NOTE ABOUT T-SHIRTS: 900 total t-shirts have been ordered in various sizes, and will be distributed to the first 900 registrants. Those who registered by September 4 will receive the t-shirt size ordered (this was the deadline for a guaranteed t-shirt); others will receive t-shirts in sizes available while supplies last. T-shirts will be distributed at packet pick-up. Men’s and women’s styles will be available, and adult XS will be the smallest size available.
Check out a video from last year's event:
That’s right! You will have the chance to run the entire length of the runway at Asheville Regional Airport — can’t get closer to the airfield than that! Registration is limited to 1,200 runners, and runners get a really cool t-shirt and a chance to win some great prizes. (Please note that due to the need to use the runway in-between scheduled flights, there is a time limit to be on the runway. Walkers/slow runners may not be allowed to complete the full 5K distance - but will still enjoy the thrill of the runway and get a great t-shirt, too! See our course map for details.)
In addition, we’re proud to give back to the community and support aviation education with all proceeds from the event.
• Get up close and personal with flight — see, touch and sit in airplanes! Experimental, military, and general aviation planes and pilots can’t wait to strut their stuff. We'll have a Blackhawk helicopter, Navy trainers, and even a C-130!
• Explore the massive machinery needed to maintain an airport — fire trucks, HUGE snow removal equipment, police vehicles, and lots of other equipment
• Learn about what it takes to work in aviation — careers ranging from pilots and flight attendants to airport operations and Aircraft Rescue Firefighting.
• Want to ride in a plane? The Western North Carolina Pilot’s Association will be conducting “leaf tours,” and for a minimal donation to their scholarship fund ($30 for adults, $15 for children), you can take a 15 minute fly-about.
• Challenge aviation experts to answer all your burning aeronautical questions, and kids - enjoy special aviation activities provided by The Health Adventure, Hands On! - A Child's Gallery, the WNC Air Museum and Fun Depot!
• Did we mention food and music? On stage, we’ll feature live music by The High Windy Band throughout the event. Visit the food booth for great lunch options at great prices. And, like so many of us did long ago, grab a bite and watch the planes… and dream of your next vacation!
• Prizes, prizes, prizes — including a chance to win FREE airfare just by dropping your name into our sweepstakes! Plus, a special scavenger hunt just for kids!
• FREE parking at Asheville Regional Airport - lower lot, clearly identified as event parking, and overflow parking nearby. Special event attendants will direct. Enter at the traffic light entrance (watch for signs) - parking immediately on the left before you loop in front of the terminal.
• Shuttle buses will run continuously between the airport event site and the parking lots (watch for signs) prior to and after the 5k and Aviation Day festivities (specific times TBD)
If you have questions about this event, please email us at email@example.com.