Click on a question below to view the answer.
I found a great piece of art in the gallery and I’d like to purchase it — how do I do that?
- If you find something for sale in the gallery you just can’t live without, it’s easy to make a purchase, and you can pick up your treasure or have it shipped to you as soon as the exhibit ends. Contact email@example.com for more information.
What kind of artwork are you looking for?
- We welcome artwork of all kinds. We do not place any limits on size, medium or subject of artwork; rather, we allow all kinds to be submitted for review by our Art Advisory Committee. At that time, the Committee determines which pieces are appropriate for display in and around the airport.
I’ve never shown my artwork in a gallery before — am I eligible to apply?
- Yes! We welcome artists of all kinds to apply, regardless of whether you’ve had previous shows.
Is there a minimum age to apply?
- No. We welcome artists of all ages.
Is there a fee to submit an application?
- No. Art in the Airport exists to support local artists and we don’t charge any fees to apply or to show your work. If you sell a piece through the gallery, we do retain a 20% commission.
We have an artists’ group — can we do a group show?
- At this time, we are only accepting individual applications. You may wish to provide information about Art in the Airport to your group and encourage your members to apply individually.
How is the artwork chosen?
- We have an Art Advisory Committee that is made up of local arts professionals. They judge each piece on a number of criteria. This information is converted to a score for each piece and the pieces with the highest scores are selected for display.
How many pieces are selected?
- Depending on how small or large the highest-rated pieces are, we typically have room for 25 – 45 pieces.
What are my chances of being chosen?
- It really depends on how many applicants we have for the upcoming show. However, it also depends on the strength of your work and our committee’s review of your art.
How long would my artwork be on display if I am selected?
- Exhibits last approximately four months.
I’ve applied to the program before but was not accepted. May I apply again?
- Yes, as long as you submit a new collection of artwork — you may not submit any of the pieces you submitted previously.
My artwork has been shown in a previous Art in the Airport exhibit. May I apply again?
Yes. However, there are some restrictions. An artist may only be selected once per our fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your eligibility.
Do you provide any kind of security or insurance for artwork?
- Yes. We use security locks on hanging artwork and use custom-built locking pedestals for any sculptures displayed outside of the gallery in other areas of the airport terminal. We also carry an insurance policy that covers all artwork on display.
Do you provide any signage in the gallery?
- Yes. Each piece of artwork will have a small placard next to it indicating the name, medium, and price of the piece, as well as the artist’s name.
May I put my business cards / brochures / flyers / other signs or paperwork in the gallery?
- No — we will provide a brochure, postcard, and a small placard for each piece of artwork. There is no charge to be in the brochure or postcard. No other promotional materials are permitted.
Can I put my website on anything?
- Not at this time. However we have received this request many times and are considering possible ways of including this information.
Can I sell my artwork through the gallery?
- Yes. If one of your pieces sells, we take only a 20% commission. Artwork that has sold will remain on display through the end of the exhibit. At that time, if the piece needs to be shipped, the artist is responsible for packaging the piece at the exhibit closing and we will ship it to the buyer at the buyer’s expense.
How can people find out about buying artwork?
- Our How to Apply & How to Buy brochure is available in the gallery, as well as a telephone that prospective buyers can use to get more information about purchasing a piece. We also post the brochure on our website.
What if I don’t want to sell one of my pieces?
- That’s fine. Just indicate on your application that the piece is not for sale and we will indicate this on the placard next to your artwork.
How many pieces of art can I submit?
- At least four (4) and no more than ten (10).
What if I’m a new artist and I only have one or two or three?
- We suggest you take some time to build your body of work and submit when you have a minimum of four pieces available — perhaps the next exhibit.
Does the artwork need to be an original, or may I submit a giclee/print/copy?
- We only accept original pieces at this time. (Exceptions: Photographs; Photographs printed on canvas; Prints as part of a collage or compilation where you have made significant changes to it.)
Should I bring my artwork to the airport for you to see?
- No. Simply submit photos of your artwork either through the Interactive Online Application, or on a CD or DVD, or via e-mail: email@example.com.
How should I deliver my application packet?
- You may hand-deliver, mail, or e-mail your packet.
- To hand-deliver: Park in short-term parking at the airport and enter the terminal. Turn to the right and go to the end of the ticket counters. Take the elevator to the Airport Authority offices on the second floor and give your packet to the receptionist. Authority offices are open 8:30am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm – 5:00pm Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- To e-mail: Send all materials, in a compressed (zipped) folder to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To mail: Put all images on a CD and either print the application and additional sheets or include them on the CD as well.
Mail all materials to:
Asheville Regional Airport Authority
Attn: Art in the Airport
61 Terminal Drive, Suite 1
Fletcher, NC 28732
Should I send you a copy of my brochure / rack card / business card / additional materials?
- Nope! Everything we need to know is on the application and if we happen to need anything else, we’ll let you know.
When will I know if I’ve been accepted?
- Within four weeks of the application deadline. Please note the deadline and wait to hear from us!
Should I call or e-mail to follow up?
- If for some reason you have not heard from us within four weeks of the application deadline, you may follow up at that time by sending an email to email@example.com.