A few months ago an airport staff member asked one simple question: “Hey, why don’t we hold a runway run?” What started as a spark in the mind of a genius airport staffer has become the event of the year here at AVL and we’re super excited to invite you to the first-ever Runway 5k and Healthy Fun Day. We don’t want to give away all the details yet, but here’s some of what you can expect:
- A 5k race that takes place on a portion of the airport’s runway and the airport campus. Don’t worry—we’re making sure no planes are coming or going during the race!
- Games and giveaways—including a scavenger hunt for the kids to help them earn their wings.
- Live entertainment by some very talented musicians.
- A drawing for free airfare from AVL.
- Aircraft on display, including a State Highway Patrol Helicopter, private aircraft, MAMA (Mission Health’s medical transport helicopter), and more!
- Food from local restaurants, including our very own Blue Ridge Trading + Tavern.
- Plus lots more from our partners and Mission Health.
And the best part? Admission to the Healthy Fun Day is absolutely free! There is a small fee to participate in the Runway 5k, but you’ll get an awesome t-shirt and a unique experience to tell your friends about. We’ll keep you posted as details unfold, but for now save the date—October 1st. The Runway 5k starts at 9am and the Healthy Fun Day kicks off at 10am. You can learn more about the event and register for the race right here. Tell us what you’re most excited about in the comments section!