What if I don’t want to sell one of my pieces?
- That’s fine. Simply indicate on your application that the piece is not for sale and we will note this in the gallery next to your piece.
How many pieces of art can I submit?
- You must submit at least four (4) pieces and no more than ten (10) when applying.
What if I’m a new artist and I only have one or two or three?
- We suggest you take some time to build your body of work and submit when you have a minimum of four pieces available — perhaps the next exhibit will be a better fit for you.
Does the artwork need to be an original, or may I submit a giclee/print/copy?
- We only accept original pieces at this time. (Exceptions: Photographs; Photographs printed on canvas; Prints as part of a collage or compilation where you have made significant changes to it.)
Should I bring my artwork to the airport for you to see?
- No. Simply submit photos of your artwork through the online application process.
How do I fill out an application?
- All applications are submitted digitally through our online application process. Please see our ART + MUSIC page for application information.
Should I send you a copy of my brochure / rack card / business card / additional materials?
- Nope! Everything we need to know is on the application and if we happen to need anything else, we’ll let you know.
When will I know if I’ve been accepted?
- Within four weeks of the application deadline. Please note the deadline and wait to hear from us!
Should I call or e-mail to follow up?
- If for some reason you have not heard from us within four weeks of the application deadline, you may follow up at that time by sending an email to email@example.com.
I found a great piece of art in the gallery and I’d like to purchase it. How do I do that?
- If you find something for sale in the gallery you just can’t live without, it’s easy to make a purchase, and you can pick up your treasure or have it shipped to you as soon as the exhibit ends. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What kind of artwork are you looking for?
- We welcome artwork of all kinds. We do not place any limits on size, medium or subject of artwork; rather, we allow all kinds to be submitted for review. During the review process it will be determined which pieces are appropriate for display in and around the airport.
I’ve never shown my artwork in a gallery before. Am I eligible to apply?
- Yes! We welcome artists of all kinds to apply, regardless of whether or not you’ve been previously exhibited in a gallery.
Is there a minimum age to apply?
- No. We welcome artists of all ages.
Is there a fee to submit an application?
- No. Art in the Airport exists to support local artists and we don’t charge any fees to apply or to show your work. If you sell a piece through the gallery, we do retain a 20% commission.
We have an artists’ group. Can we do a group show?
- At this time, we are only accepting individual applications. You may wish to provide information about Art in the Airport to your group and encourage your members to apply individually.
How is the artwork chosen?
- We have a review process that is led by our art gallery curator, who holds a degree in fine art. Each show is assigned a theme, and each piece is judged on a number of criteria, including quality of work and relevance to the theme.
How many pieces are selected?
- Depending on how small or large the highest-rated pieces are, we typically have room for 25 – 45 pieces.
What are my chances of being chosen?
- It can depend on a number of variables, such as: number of applicants, strength of work, and relevance to theme.
How long would my artwork be on display if I am selected?
- Exhibits vary in length; however, most are on display for approximately 16 weeks.
I’ve applied to the program before but was not accepted. May I apply again?
- Yes, as long as you submit a new collection of artwork — you may not submit any of the pieces you submitted previously.
My artwork has been shown in a previous Art in the Airport exhibit. May I apply again?
Yes. However, there are some restrictions. An artist may only be selected once per our fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). Please email email@example.com if you have questions about your eligibility.
Do you provide any kind of security or insurance for artwork?
- Yes. Security locks are used on hanging artwork and custom-built locking pedestals are used for any sculptures displayed outside of the gallery or in other areas of the airport terminal. We also carry an insurance policy that covers all artwork on display.
Do you provide any signage in the gallery?
- Yes, next to each piece of artwork is a label it indicating the artist's name, title of piece, medium, and price. There is a large sign that highlights each artist, containing their bio and a photo. We also produce a custom postcard for each exhibit that contains contact information for each artist.
May I put my business cards / brochures / flyers / other signs or paperwork in the gallery?
- No, we will provide a sign (including artist name, photo, and bio), a postcard with contact information, and a small label for each piece of artwork. There is no charge to be on the sign, postcard, or label. No other promotional materials are permitted.
Can I sell my artwork through the gallery?
- Yes. If one of your pieces sells, we only retain a 20% commission. Artwork that has sold will remain on display through the end of the exhibit. At that time, if the piece needs to be shipped, arrangements will be made with the buyer. Shipping costs are paid for by the buyer.
Can I display my website or leave business cards in the gallery?
- No. The airport produces a post card "take-away" that includes the contact information of each artist, and a large "Meet the Artists" sign that includes artist bios. The sign is on display in the gallery, and the post cards are available for the public to take throughout the duration of the show.
How can people find out about buying artwork?
- There is information on our website and in our How to Apply or Buy brochure that is available in the gallery.